Recreation, Parks and Open Space Master Plan
In 2020, the City of Mountlake Terrace has started to develop a comprehensive and visionary Recreation, Parks & Open Space Master Plan (RPOS) to guide the development and acquisition of new recreation facilities, parks, and open spaces, as well as the renovation of existing facilities over the next twenty years.
The Master Plan reflects the city’s vision of a vibrant community that responds to the needs and desires of its residents, friends, and visitors for fun, healthy, exciting, and diverse activities in an award-winning Recreation and Parks system. The plan looks at where we are now, what the anticipated needs are for the future, and how we can improve and upgrade our existing facilities.
The purpose of the Recreation, Parks and Open Space Master Plan is to create a clear and concise set of goals, policies, and objectives that provide direction for the city’s future growth.
What’s happening now?
Public input is important to make sure the goals and priorities identified in the RPOS Plan are consistent with community interests. In fall 2020, the City gathered information from the community on your preferences for recreation and park interests.
The City hosted focus group discussions and conducted an online community-wide survey and a random-sample mail-in survey. Over 1,000 people provided responses to the surveys. Here are some of the results:
- Nearly all respondents (97%) think parks and recreation are important to quality of life in Mountlake Terrace.
- Most respondents (92%) are satisfied with the value they receive from Mountlake Terrace parks, facilities, and open spaces.
- Respondents identified the most popular activities as walking or running (80%), followed by relaxation (50%), and dog walking/exercise (48%).
- Most respondents (90%) are supportive of adding walking and biking trails, picnic areas and shelters.
- Many respondents would like more swimming and water-safety programs, adult fitness and wellness classes, adult enrichment classes, and performing arts programs.
On March 9, the project team shared the survey results with the Recreation & Parks Advisory Commission (RPAC). The following documents were shared with RPAC for their review and comment.
- March 9, 2020 presentation of community survey highlights
- RPOS Plan Community Survey Report
- Results of the teen-focused community survey
Before the project team identifies recreation and park system recommendations as part of the final RPOS Plan, they want to confirm what’s important to you. In April, we’ll host an online open house where you can learn more about the project and provide your input on your priorities for park spaces and programming. Please check back between April 7 and 28 to participate in the online open house.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we’re hosting this online event in lieu of an in-person event.
Project Initiation: August 2020
Exist. Conditions and Baseline Analyses: Aug 2020-Jan 2021
Community Engagement: September 2020-April 2021
Veterans Memorial Park Master Plan: Oct 2020-Dec 2021
Community Needs Assessment: January 2021-July 2021
Preliminary Plan Development: June 2021-October 2021
Plan Review and Approval: September 2021-December 2021
RPOS Plan Completion: December 2021
Existing RPOS Plan
Please view the current Recreation, Parks and Open Space Master Plan (PDF).